Thursday, August 25, 2011

Lessons I didn't want to learn

I was talking on the phone with a friend, and the subject of lessons that we've learned from not-so-great situtions came up.  After talking for awhile she said that she thinks that God plans it out that way, that he has to put you in these situations because you have to learn certain things before you can "graduate", so to speak.  She (also unmarried), feels like she hasn't found "the one" yet because she hasn't graduated, hasn't learned some valuable lesson that will help her down the road.  She also suggested that the not-so-great things that happen to you make you who you are, and maybe you have to be that 30 year old person, that has graduated with all of those "lessons learned", to be the perfect partner for your perfect partner.

I completely agree with this, but I truly hope that I'm close to "graduating". 

Here are some of the lessons that I didn't want to learn...
  • Cheating (in my opinion) is most of the time an indication that something is lacking from your relationship, and most of the time can not be overcome.  Also, (and I NEVER used to believe this, before it happened to me multiple times) once a cheater, always a cheater.
  • Your gut is right 99% of time.  If you are scared to death that he is not going to go through with the wedding..in my case...you are probably right. Also, your mother is right 99% of the time.
  • You should make a list of qualities that you value the most in a partner, and stick to it.  Now I do not mean the silly lists that all women make with eye/hair color, profession, style of dress... I mean the important qualities..in my case...Christian, Strong morals, Not an EXTREME Drinker, Family man, MUST want children.
  • If you don't like someone A LOT, don't force it, it's not going to happen.  The older I get the more I think I try to settle for someone I don't like everything about (aka J), and maybe I have'nt fully learned this lesson yet...but I did break up with J.

Don't you think I'm close to graduation? What lessons did you not want to learn?


2 comments:

  1. Remember....You should never settle!! Life is a journey that has aleady been mapped out for you. Learn lessons along the way & most importantly you were created for a specific purpose by God!! You are an amazing young lady and I so very proud of you (and that other unmarried woman too). Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You def should not force anything, God's timing is the right timing and when we stray off- he'll bring us back on track. Don't go out "looking for love" go out just to go out, have fun, get some free dinner, love will end up smacking you in the face when you weren't even expecting it!

    ReplyDelete