Friday, April 15, 2011

My attempt at being crafty...

So I've been looking for something easy and cute to do for a coffee table decoration for a while now, and I finally found it!  See, here's the thing, I'm not a "crafter" by nature, I'm more of a "starter but not finisher" when it comes to crafting, so it has to be pretty simple for me to finish it.  
 
I was checking out an AMAZING blog called Clean and Scentsible, who is a fabulous crafter.  After reading several of her posts, I've decided that I have about as much talent all together as she has in her right pinkie finger.  But anywho, I found this project that I thought would be do-able for me.  They are paper flower balls.  Here's how you make em':
 
I went to my local hobby lobby and picked out the following "ingredients":
  •   Scrapbooking Paper $3
  • Styrofoam Balls $15!! (didn't know Styrofoam balls were so pricey!)
  • Flower puncher $7
  •  Dress making pins (CS suggested corsage pins, but I went the thrifty route) $6
  • <3 Vase (was bought at Ikea) $12
 
Step 1: Punched out a zillion little flowers out of the scrapbook paper
 
Here are the CUTE pins that I found! ADORABLE bright spring colors!
 
Step 2: Pinned little flowers unto Styrofoam balls.  I alternated the cheap pins, with the decorate pins to save some $$, but if I was married to a doctor or lawyer I would have went the completely decorated pin route. (Mr. Kitty was very upset that I was using HIS table to craft on, and you can also see my new rug from Ikea)
 
 
 
Step 3: Voila! Beautiful balls to put in my vase (that sounded a bit dirty). 
 
I haven't gotten them all done.  It takes me about 40 minutes to make each ball (but then again it's ME, and I'm watching my DVR'ed shows while I'm doing it), and I bought about 15 balls to fill my giant vase.  Will update with a finished look pic when they are all done.
 
Oh and a TIP if you decide to make these....BUY A THIMBLE.  My little thumb is sore from pushing in pins!

2 comments: